Thursday, May 14, 2009

Not really being fair, there...

Alex St. John really bothered me today. Sure, he's an aggressive executive type, I understand that. The dismissive sexism? Not really my favorite thing.

I was sitting in the front row; I generally sit wherever there's the most room. He called the people in the front row something, either suck-ups or overachievers. Probably suck-ups. He went down the line from his left to his right asking everyone's favorite video games. He stopped a person or two short of me, which didn't bother me, but was unfortunate in retrospect.

Later, he was trying to make a point about Bejeweled, and looked at me and saw [Girl in Front Row - SHE MUST PLAY BEJEWELED!]. He asked if I played it, and I said yes. This was just after I added the WoW Addon for it, which I like. I had actually never played Bejeweled until that point. He asked why, and I said it was de-stressing, because it gets rid of all the other distractions I have. So does WoW, for that matter, and Brawl, and every video game ever, but I didn't say that. He looked at the class like "Hey guys, point made!"

Then, sometime later, he asked who hadn't played Halo. I raised my hand. I've just never particularly wanted to buy an XBox. For that matter, I've never bought a console game. I'm a console moocher, especially with my sister. As it happened, none of my friends own XBoxes either, so, no, I haven't played Halo. He asked why I hadn't, I said something stupid, but he got to the point of whether or not I would actually enjoy Halo, it's a huge investment to play console games without even trying them out first. That's a good point. I definitely give him that. I just wish he maybe would have picked someone else out, but he looked at me and saw Girl + Prior Admission of Bejeweled + Doesn't Play Halo = Perfect Stereotype.

So, after class, when both Wanda and I tried to talk to him, he just dismissively said, "Play more games first." I could see Wanda half-heartedly go "But she plays WoW," but for Alex. St. Jerk, it was case closed, move on.

It is a legitimate criticism that if I want to make this my career, I need to play more. I agree. I actually do. There have been a lot of game names mentioned in this class without me having a clue what they are. I just don't appreciate the assumption that Bejeweled is my game, at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment